Monday, September 12, 2011

México, mágico y mas

It is remarkable how fast time seems to fly by.
I blinked, and lost August and part of July.
With two months gone but Mexico to remember,
Cool evenings tell me now that I am in September.


El sigh.


Colorful papel picado on Pipila Street

Mexico me encanta. I have been studying Spanish for past 2 years (socially through friends, formally in school, one semester) and finally took a trip to immerse myself: a 10-day solo excursion to Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco MX. The town was charming, the weather sticky-hot and the people muy simpatico. I
practicado habla español everywhere I went, and experienced the true cultura by living in an apartamento in el distrito histórico.


The view from mi apartamento. Buenos dias, Puerto Vallarta!

I was surrounded by amazing smells and city sounds, vibrant arts and a pulsing nightlife that continued until daylight. I rode a horse through a river, zip-lined through the jungles, swam with colorful fish, drank muchas cervezas and celebrated mi cumpleaño, as well as made some very special friends to keep in touch with.
México es mágico para mí
!


Buena sonrisa por Mexico and the zip line tours!

More art and mas escula. After Mexico, it was back home to start school, Spanish 402 at City College, and participate in another art show. Curated by Evie Turner of Evie Turner Marketing, "Bent Twig" is a show at VOXSacramento about artists supporting artists. My bent twig, Valerie, submitted a beautiful glass piece, and I submitted a new collage as well as an old painting.


With curator Evie Turner and Valerie's glass piece at VOX

The new collage, "Batalla" is based on a Mexican proverb which reads: In the Battle of Love, a Field of Feathers.



The show continues through the month of September at VOXSacramento, 1818 11th Street at R.