Thursday, January 26, 2012

Goooooal de mi Corazón

Buena sonrisa en el dia bonita de Camp Nou, Barcelona Spain

As noted in an earlier post, my December visit to Spain was a culturally-enriching, amazing experience. In addition to being immersed in all things Catalan, enamored by the stylish people and charmed by the art and architecture, I was intrigued and entertained by the extreme love of futbol (Americans call it soccer). The players, the gear, the grass - futbol is everywhere: billboards, magazine covers, even candy wrappers boast information referring to "the game." It is an intoxicating fever that stirs energy and emotion. Sure, I have been to a few San Jose Quakes games in California, but futbol españa is a madness like I've never seen.
1966 Trofeu Gamper inside the Museu at Camp Nou, Barcelona Spain

My first day in Barcelona, I headed straight to Camp Nou and spent 2 hours wandering through the museu and touring the stadium. I saw incredible copas, vintage gear, retired jerseys and historic photos. I sampled Barça potato chips and listened to hundreds of fans, ages 2 to 92, sing the beloved victory song on a huge screen. Souvenirs of red, blue and yellow weighed down mi bolsa, and I learned to correctly spell Messi, Fabregras and Busquets before the end of the day. At last, I understood why their slogan is "Mas Que un Club," More Than a Club. ¡Claro que si!
Evening sunset on the massive Santiago Bernabéu stadium, Madrid Spain

After Barcelona I headed to Madrid, a city with an equally-impressive futbol team, aptly named Real Madrid. The stadium - Santiago Bernabéu - is just as impressive as Camp Nou, and the Adidas-sponsored campaign, "Real Madrid is All In" universally applies to the players, the game, the gear and the lifestyle. I ogled posters of Iker Casillas, Cristano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos, sweaty and smiling large as life. I savored and embraced the experience, wrapping my neck in a cozy "Hala Madrid" bufanda and leaving the tienda with large bags of crown-embossed swag (Real Madrid's regal logo).
Real Madrid is ALL IN. Poster from Santiago Bernabéu stadium, Madrid Spain

Fast-forward to now, a mere month later: I have futbol apps on my phone, schedules printed in my datebook and sporty chaquetas I never want to take off. Yesterday, the match - and my heart - ¡destrozado por el deporte! (torn by the sport) - the curse of rival teams. Streaming the game (I don't own a TV), I found myself jumping back and forth during plays. Lionel Messi, with the moves like Jagger (perhaps even better) proved why he was voted Player of the Year for the third year in a row.
Cheeky smile and velvet suit, who's Messi now, folks?!

Ronaldo and Ramos openly expressed frustration and, everywhere, emotions were high. In the end, the Barça-favored score made it obvious this will be a season of excitement. As for me, I am thrilled to learn more about futbol: the game, the rules, the fanatic rituals. But first the question I need an answer for is - "who's your team!?"

Perhaps only (the) team will tell (me).